Satsuma mandarin orange marmalade

December 26th, 2008 by Dawn

Satsuma mandarin orange marmalade

This year, I went on a bit of a canning craze.  I’d actually never canned in my life before this year, but was “forced” into it by the bounty of fruit we received from our CSA.  We’ve done a CSA for years, but stopped doing it for the last couple years after the Pike Place Market stopped offering theirs.  We settled into a weekly routine of heading to the U-District market for our produce instead, which we were quite content with.

One of our favorite stands at the market is Tiny’s, since I love stone fruits and they are among the best and offer theirs for the longest season.  They have an amazing variety of plums, peaches, and cherries, along with melons, apples, and more.  So when I found out that they offer a CSA, I thought maybe we’d finally found a good replacement for the Pike Place CSA – local, good quality produce, and best of all, a much higher proportion of fruits than most CSAs.  I love snacking on fruit, and that was my one wish for the Pike Place CSA: more fruit.

Be careful what you ask for.  Every week, Tiny’s supplied us with the juiciest, most delicious fruit, at least several pounds per week.  And soon we had fruit coming out our ears, it seemed, and I was getting a little tired of plums, so I needed to start getting more creative.  Through the summer, we ate fruit sliced on our grilled fish and meat.  I made plum financiers, and peach crisps (not to mention enough zucchini bread to feed an army!).  But it wasn’t enough to keep up.

So I finally pulled out my jam book, Mes Confitures.  I was determined not to let the fruit go to waste, and preserves seemed just the thing.  And this book has some creative and tasty jam recipes.  This season, I made strawberry jam with mint and cracked black pepper, plum and rhubarb jam, peach jam with lemon verbena, pluot jam, and plum and apple jam with anise and vanilla bean.  I shared the jars with our neighbors and started collecting them to give as gifts for Christmas.

But when I started packaging the gifts, I realized that there was one kind missing: orange marmalade.  My dad’s favorite spread is this, and he even likes to ask for a jar sometimes for Christmas.  I’ve given him jars in the past, but never my own, even though I’ve had a marmalade recipe filed away that I’d clipped out of the newspaper years ago.  I was always a little nervous about making it because I’d never canned before and thought giving my family spoiled jam might not be the best Christmas gift.

SatsumasOrange segmentsMarmalade jars

Now that I’d learned how to preserve jams though, the recipe no longer looked very hard at all.  Four simple ingredients: oranges, sugar, water, and a touch of lemon.  It turned out to be as easy as the author, Greg Atkinson, says.  And it tastes better than any marmalade I’ve purchased.  I hope my dad enjoys his marmalade this year!

Here is Greg Atkinson’s recipe.  Check out the original newspaper article for his other recipes for maple and honey granola and ginger biscotti.

Satsuma Mandarin Orange Marmalade
by Greg Atkinson
Makes six half-pints

9 medium-sized mandarin oranges
2 cups water
¼ cup lemon juice
4 cups sugar

Peel the oranges and set the fruit and peel aside separately. Slice enough of the skins into fine julienne strips to measure 2 cups. In a large kettle over high heat, boil the sliced orange peel in water for 5 minutes. (If you want to make a marmalade that’s less bitter, pour the water in which the peels were boiled into a measuring cup and replace it with the same amount of fresh water.)

Meanwhile, sterilize six half-pint jars in boiling water, and allow them to simmer on low heat, undisturbed while you make the marmalade.

With the metal blade in the work bowl of a food processor, puree the fruit of the oranges and the lemon juice, then add this pulp and juice mixture to the mixture of orange peel and water. When the whole mixture reaches a lively boil, add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes, or until the marmalade has thickened slightly and a candy thermometer registers 220 degrees.

Transfer the marmalade to jars and seal with clean, new, two-part lids. Return the filled jars to the hot water bath where they were sterilized and let the jars simmer for 5 minutes. Allow the marmalade to stand undisturbed for several hours or overnight. Sealed jars will keep in a cool, dark place for a year; any jars that do not seal may be kept in the refrigerator.

Note: If you want to make more than just a few jars, make two or three batches in a row. If you try to double the recipe, it will not work as well.

13 Responses to “Satsuma mandarin orange marmalade”

1. Gin says:

Ok this this marmalade looks so good and yummy and I want to learn how to can, I am going to try it!!! Wish me luck.

2. Nicole says:

Thanks for the recipe! I made it last night and followed the directions pretty closely and now that it’s in the jars, it seems a bit runny. Did you get similar results? I notice that the recipe didn’t call for pectin (which is good, I’d rather not use it), but I’ve seen other marmalade recipes that do, such as: http://www.eatingoutloud.com/2008/02/orange-marmalade-sunshine-in-a-jar.html

Just curious about your results…

Hi Nicole,

I’m glad you tried it out! When I made it, it ended up being quite thick. I found that it took much longer than 15 minutes to reach 220 degrees, however – that’s the most critical thing to making sure it ends up thick enough in the end.

I’ve made other jams without pectin before where I have run into this issue where it’s runny (like the pluot jam I mentioned). Usually it happens to me when jams have large chunks of fruit that are in fact not up to the same temperature as the rest of the jam, but my candy thermometer doesn’t catch that. Every jam ends up being a slightly different consistency for me, but they still all taste great! :)

4. Marisa says:

This sounds lovely. Do you know about what weight of fruit you ended up using?

5. noni says:

I used your measurements for the most part, but used pectin and less water. It is declicious. I thank you very much!

6. Kathy T. says:

I have found an abundance of Mandarin oranges at my local Sam’s Club. They are absolutely delicious out of hand, but I’d love to preserve them. I found this recipe during a Google search, and the pictures alone are enough of an incentive to try my hand at real canning. I’ve put up freezer jam for several years from wild blackberries, local strawberries, and store-bought blueberries, but I’m ready to take the hot bath plunge. Thank you for inspiring me.

7. Shauna says:

Made this marmalade 4 days ago, and I’m already out of it. It’s delicious. I did replace the water with fresh water, and found that it took much longer than 15 minutes for the temperature to reach 220. Making another batch this afternoon! Thanks for sharing!

8. Kat says:

Thanks for this post! I have been thinking of canning and preserving some fruits that have been growing on our yard. We always gets too much fruit and we don’t really want to sell them, we just give them away to the neighbors. And many of them just gets rotten, its such a waste. This gave me ideas! Thanks again

9. Christina says:

I just made this today, but mine turned out really bitter. I changed out the water after boiling the peel, but maybe I should have boiled it for longer than five minutes? Mine also took much longer than 15 minutes to reach 220 degrees according to my candy thermometer, but it still seems a little runny… I think it still needs to cool more though, the leftover bit in the pot got thicker when it cooled. I wonder if there’s anything I can do to salvage the bitter marmalade though?

10. Jenn says:

I made this recipe tonight, and it turned out absolutely divine!! The only thing I did to change it was add some apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice) to the peel as it boiled. It gave the marmalade this wonderful wintery spice to it. My satsumas were extremely juicy, so the marmalade didn’t thicken as I’d hoped. I used a candy thermometer and everything. I’m going to try again, but with a little less water. Thank you for sharing!!! :)

11. Bridget says:

I did this last night except I put it in my bread maker, because it has a jam setting. It’s delisious, but it’s runny is there anything I can do to thinkin it up a bit? I don’t mind starting over, I have a mandrine orange tree, but if I could salvage this batch in any way that would be helpful!

12. Linda says:

T
    My friend has a Satsuma tree, and gave me a zillion,her crop this year juicy and huge!Although delish (I added candy ginger as well)the first attempt was runny,I attributed it to the size of the fruit. Second attempt using pectin perfection!Thank you

13. Libby says:

We also had an abundance of Satusmas this year and I was looking for something to do with them. I made this recipe and it is absolutely delicious!!! Will be making this again and again. It took 32 minutes for me to get the temp up to 220, but well worth it. Thanks so much for sharing such a great recipe!