Frank’s Oyster House & Champagne Parlor

January 25th, 2009 by Eric

We’ve enjoyed many dinners at our neighborhood restaurant Pair over the past few years.  Owners Sarah and Felix Penn opened their second restaurant Frank’s this month, just a few blocks away from Pair, so we stopped in for dinner on their first Friday night to see what the new place is all about.

Frank's

Dark wood paneling, soft lighting, and high-backed booths give a relaxed, low-key vibe to the restaurant.  We were seated on the Oyster House side of the restaurant, opposite the tall doorway that leads to the Parlor and bar.  I’m glad I made a reservation, because they were full by 7PM and turning people away.  We had a hard time deciding between all of the tasty-sounding options on the cocktail and dinner menus, but we finally agreed on a few things to share.  Dawn sampled an Air Mail cocktail (lime, honey, rum, champagne) while I went for the Pear & Cardamom Sidecar (a nice twist on the classic drink).

Our plate of buttery and flaky cheddar biscuits with ham arrived first, with a small ramekin of Calvados apple butter on the side.  It was a tasty, homey dish, and I’d buy jars of that apple butter to go if they were for sale.  Next up were two mini lobster rolls, served on house-made hot dog buns, with a butter lettuce leaf tucked in.  As Sarah explained, the lobster is served Cape Cod style (mixed simply with mayonnaise), sans celery as you might find in some parts of Maine.  These definitely felt like fancy lobster rolls, with a subtle grill flavor in the slightly crunchy bread, more haute than what you’d find on the roadside in Maine.  Quite tasty, but also quite pricey at $9 a roll.

Dawn tried the chard and ricotta pansotti (a triangular-shaped stuffed pasta), and it was nice and rich – a decent vegetarian option.  I loved my filet mignon with horseradish parsley butter.  The steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare, melt-in-your-mouth tender, with deep flavor.  Easily one of the best steaks I’ve had in the past few years, and a great value compared to any of the pricey steakhouses around town.  With a side of creamed kale to go with it, I was in heaven.

Filet mignon with horseradish parsley butter

For dessert, we shared caramelized bananas with three ice creams.  The presentation was interesting, with the ice creams served in a single stack of round discs, but when I took a bite with all three, they just didn’t go together.  Each had a different consistency (one was soft, two were hard), and the chocolate ice cream didn’t have a smooth texture (slightly crystallized, like it didn’t freeze properly).  The bananas were good, but overall this dish didn’t impress me.

As to be expected during opening week, there were a few hiccups during the evening.  It was a full twenty minutes before our waitress came over to our table to even say hello (we were starting to think about leaving), and when she arrived, she apologetically told us that she had forgotten about us.  While I’m sure that’s the honest truth, it’s not the greatest thing to hear as a customer.  It also felt like we were re-forgotten after every course during the evening, with long waits the norm.  Our favorite moment was when our waitress came by and asked, “Has anyone dessert’d you yet?”  Well, no, no one has taken our dessert order, but yes we have been deserted!  It looked like the staff was in the weeds on this first busy evening, so I’m sure they’ll straighten things out.  I’m eager to go back to try some oysters, the razor clam fritters, and another one of those steaks!

Frank’s Oyster House & Champagne Parlor
2616 NE 55th St, Seattle
206-525-0220

Frank's Oyster House & Champagne Parlor on Urbanspoon

41 Responses to “Frank’s Oyster House & Champagne Parlor”

1. Anticiplate says:

Erik and I love this restaurant! We didn’t try the ham biscuits, but we will save that for next time. We had the deviled eggs, the burger, and the pork. The dessert (we ordered the same as you) was phenomenal. I am so happy a delicious restaurant is so close to us:)

2. Eric says:

Nice! Oh yes, the goat cheese deviled eggs are also on my list – Catherine was raving about them this weekend. Would you recommend the burger?

3. matt wright says:

Just the kind of place I want in walking distance to my house. I haven’t been to Pair, but walk past it all the time (it is next to a great toy shop). Lovely write up.

4. Anticiplate says:

I WOULD recommend the burger. Elegant, and simple with wonderful flavors. Doesn’t sound much like a description of a burger, but it was great.

5. Kye says:

I enjoyed the deviled eggs (loved the crispy salty fried leeks on top) and razor clam fritters. But the cocktails were a bit weak for me.

6. Junny says:

I just went to Frank’s two days ago for the second time and it’s incredibly delicious every time! The pansotti was to die for! Not too creamy and hit just the right spot. :) The deviled eggs (as everyone has already mentioned) is something I will probably get every time I go to the restaurant, as well as the fingerling potatoes with creme fraiche, bacon, scallions. A few other things I’ve tried are the biscuits with apple butter, the filet mignon, the oysters on the half shell, and the house made potato chips (SO GOOD!), and I can’t say I was disappointed with any of them. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. I’m thinking I definitely have to go to Pair and see what they’re all about as well!

7. black power bank 5200mah says:

Awesome :3?

8. Ute Morey says:

You’re a really valuable website; couldn’t make it without ya!

9. Astrid Beck says:

Your material is rather exciting.

10. Jannette Beuzeville says:

Especially insightful, looking onward to coming back.

11. proxy list says:

This paragraph is really a good one it assists
    new internet users, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

12. We are the Magento Team says:

We’re a gaggtle of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your website offered uss with helpful info to work on. You’ve done
    a formidable jobb and our whole group wjll be thankful to you.

13. list proxy says:

Great information. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have saved as a favorite for later!

14. Rodney Allum says:

The posts is rather unique.

15. Rod says:

I’d like to find out more? I’d like to find out some additional information.

16. Joy Liu says:

Thanks very valuable. Will certainly share site with my friends.

17. Lazaro says:

Hi, I want to subscribe for this webpage to obtain most recent updates, thus where can i do it please help.

18. Paulina Judge says:

A Lifter-1 cleaner is also available for the carpet of your car.

Just follow a few simple tips and your car can smell like it just left the dealership too. For a fraction of the cost of paint, one can choose to wrap their vehicle for as long or little as one desires.

19. ??? ?????? says:

???? ???? ??????? ???????? ????
    ????? ?? ??? ?????? proxyarab.com

20. Ahmad Leddy says:

Great web website! It looks really professional!
    Sustain the good job!

21. Kia Koontz says:

Hello, awesome web-site you’ve presently.

22. Camilla Noskowski says:

say thanks to a lot for your website it assists a lot.

23. Harris Heane says:

These online portals provide you with great dazzling benefits in the form of variety of products, offers and discount prices etc.
    The city is famous for its high quality leather products and is regarded as the main industrial belt of India. For the most part, the easiest thing to do is have a few online stores that you know are reliable and place your orders there.

24. Iola Greenham says:

If not treated, this is quite embarrassing and leads to both physical and psychological issues in later life.
    We have shrink creams like China Shrink Cream, Oh So Tight, Sure Grip, Liquid Virgin, which is currently the most popular. At present, there are several remedial measures available for curing this genital health disorder.

25. Ramonita Horvath says:

You’ve very well info on this web-site.

26. Beth Beckwith says:

You’ve got terrific thing these.

27. angielski sosnowiec says:

Angielski Sosnowiec –
    When someone writes an piece of writing he/she keeps the
    idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
    Therefore that’s why this post is outstdanding.
    Thanks!

28. Carol Franks says:

But the fact is that they are of no use without, one does not take proper nutrition and physical workouts regularly.
    Genuine people with genuine lives that will help you achieve your desires and desires as well as share all of your troubles and also misfortunes; all with an added touch of humour and camaraderie. That’s the last thing you want when building muscles.

29. Modesta Beacham says:

Stretch marks are scars that can be attained after a pregnancy.
    Myth: Bodybuilding supplements are all hype and most do not live up to expectations. In the real world, very few athletes ever make it to the professional level in any sport.

30. Spencer Freedman says:

Therefore in order for your arm to move back to its original position, there must be another muscle contracting in the opposite direction. This procedure is very similar to “receptor mapping”.
    In natural contests bodybuilders are routinely tested for illegal substances and are banned for any violations from future contests.

31. Clair Schulze says:

“Graviola NatVita” to w 100% naturalny sok, wyt?aczany z owoców Gravioli znanych równie? po nazw? “Anona Muricata” albo “Guanábana”.

Gravioli, z których robiony jest sok, pochodz? w sadów ekologicznych. Sok ten to 100% naturalnego ekstraktu, niezawieraj?cego konserwantów, barwników czy utrwalaczy smaku. Krzew na którym wyrastaj? owoce Gravioli, od wieków traktowany jest jako ?rodek na ró?ne przypad?o?ci.
    W praktyce ca?e drzewko i owoce mo?na wykorzysta? jako leki na rozmaite problemy zdrowotne. Zdolno?? do wyniszczenia komórek rakowych to najistotniejsza zaleta owoców Gravioli. Szereg bada? potwierdzi?o du?? efektywno?? w leczeniu raka. Witamin, minera?y i pozosta?e zdrowe zwi?zki to kolejne zalety nak?aniaj?ce do spo?ywania soku z Gravioli.
    Systematyczne oraz codzienne spo?ywanie soku, powi?ksza wydolno?? uk?adu immunologicznego i usuwa z organizmu toksyny. Procedura produkcji napoju “Graviola NatVita” jest ca?kowicie oboj?tny dla jego zdrowotnych oraz smakowych cech. Trzy dawki w ci?gu doby przed g?ównymi posi?kami, tak wygl?da najskuteczniejszy harmonogram dziennego spo?ycia soku z Gravioli.

32. Teddy Villasenor says:

I delight in the details on your website. Appreciate it.

33. Shayna Gilson says:

Superb Web page, Carry on the very good work. Thanks a lot!

34. Neal Dugan says:

Miody Manuka –
    Keep up the outstanding work !! Lovin’ it!

35. Sommer Lott says:

Miody Manuka –
    Many thanks, this website is very helpful.

36. Jaqueline Schulz says:

I benefit from perusing your web sites. Thank you!

37. Jerilyn Chinnery says:

You’re a really valuable web site; couldn’t make it without ya!

38. Angelika Oldfield says:

With thanks for sharing your great web site.

39. Carmella Gowing says:

You’ve gotten one of the greatest web sites.

40. Fabian Gilbreath says:

Great page, Preserve the beneficial job.

Many thanks.

41. Dannielle Eldridge says:

Sustain the helpful job and generating the crowd!